Thursday, June 19, 2014

Susan Khalje "The Classic French Jacket" Day 6



Day 6:  Hemming, trim, pockets, closures

It is really a wonderful feeling to go from this lovely pile of fabric to this jacket!  Just the finishing touches are needed.



 I was at home when I started adding the trim and finishing up the jacket details.  Putting my jacket on my dress form made the process of handsewing my trim on a little easier..  We used these hooks and eyes, which were recommended as well as these scissors.  Susan Khalje.com sells these scissors which I used for many purposes and would highly recommend.   



I needed to place my first hook and eye, which I placed at the widest part of my bust.  Obvious reasons....  

This is the trim purchased from M and J Trims NYC.  You cannot tell from the picture but it has slim leather strips through it.
It adds a nice weight to the jacket edges.

I then took my time hand sewing my trim all around the jacket.  Fist down one side and then the other allowing for some ease.




  Needed to tidy up the inside lining all around the outer edges.  I loved this silk with the pearls on it.  I believe Karen from fiftydresses.com created a dress out of it.   



 Then added the chain at the lower edge of the jacket.  


 Just adds some more weight and so elegant.  

My pockets I played with until I liked the placement.  Not very clear here but I lined and quilted the inside of my pockets.  Also covered snaps so the pockets would not gap open.  I just liked them this way, no other reason.  If anyone is able to go to one of Susan's classes, it is well worth the effort.  This is a wonderful jacket and I am so happy with the results.  



The next best thing though is Susan is now offering on line classes through her website SusanKhalje.com and will be teaching this jacket!  This is not a complex jacket and Susan does a wonderful job stepping through and teaching each component.  A must have!

  


1 comment:

  1. Your jacket turned out beautifully! Thank you for documenting the whole course, I have really enjoyed looking at the pictures of your progress as well as the fabric pairing ones.

    ReplyDelete